Joined MME in 1998;
Ph.D. in Physical-Organic Chemistry from Rutgers University in 1998
- Materials Research Group
- Nanoscale surface modification of medical devices, and nanoparticles in protein/drug delivery
- Resorbable ceramics and composited in bone tissue engineering using 3-D printing technology
- Microwave and plasma processing of materials
- In vitro bone cell material interactions
- Piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic transducers (pMUTs) for medical imaging and therapeutics and Ceramic gas sensor
National & International Recognition:
- 2002 NSF CAREER and the Presidential Early Career award for Scientist and Engineers (PECASE) award (2002 / 2004)
- 2006 “Kavli Fellow” – National Academy of Sciences
- 2009 American Ceramic Society - Schwartzwalder-Professional Achievement in Ceramic Engineering (PACE) Award
- 2012 Outstanding researcher award, School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
- 2013 Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- 2013 Fellow, American Ceramic Society
- Book - “Biomaterials Science – Processing, Properties and Applications III” Ceramic Transactions Volume 242, Edited by Susmita Bose, Amit Bandyopadhyay and Roger Narayan, John Wiley (2013).
- Book - “Characterization of Biomaterials” Edited by Amit Bandyopadhyay and Susmita Bose, Elsevier (2013).
- Book - “Biomaterials Science – Processing, Properties and Applications II” Ceramic Transactions Volume 237, Edited by Roger Narayan, Susmita Bose and Amit Bandyopadhyay, John Wiley (2012).
- Book - “Biomaterials Science – Processing, Properties and Applications” Ceramic Transactions Volume 228, Edited by Roger Narayan, Amit Bandyopadhyay and Susmita Bose, John Wiley (2011).
- S. Bose, M. Roy and A. Bandyopadhyay, “Recent advances in bone tissue engineering scaffolds,” Trends in Biotechnology, Vol 30, no. 10, pp. 546-554 (2012).
- S. Bose and S. Tarafder, "Calcium Phosphate Ceramic Systems in Growth Factor and Drug Delivery for Bone Tissue Engineering - A Review", Acta Biomaterialia, 8, 1401–1421 (2012).
- S. Tarafder, V. K. Balla, NM Davies, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, "Microwave Sintered 3D Printed Tricalcium Phosphate Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering", The Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Wiley Online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com) DOI: 10.1002/term.555 in press 2012.
- G. Fielding, M. Roy, A. Bandyopadhyay, S. Bose, “Antibacterial and biological characteristics of plasma sprayed silver and strontium doped hydroxyapatite coatings”, Acta Biomaterialia, 8  3144-3152 (2012)
- M. Roy and S. Bose, “Osteoclastogenesis and Osteoclastic Resorption of Tricalcium Phosphate: Effect of Strontium and Magnesium Doping”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A, Sep;100(9):2450-61 (2012)
- G. A. Fielding, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Effects of Silica and Zinc Oxide Doping on Mechanical and Biological Properties of 3D Printed Tricalcium Phosphate Tissue Engineering Scaffolds”, Dental Materials, 2 8, 113–122 (2012).
- M. Roy, V. K. Balla, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “MgO Doped Tantalum Coating on Ti: Microstructural Study and Biocompatibility Evaluation”, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 4; 577-580, (2012).
- M. Roy, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Induction Plasma Sprayed Sr and Mg Doped Nano Hydroxyapatite Coatings on Ti for Bone Implant", Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part B - Applied Biomaterials, Vol 99B, Issue 2, pp 258-265 (Nov 2011).
- S. Bose, S. Tarafder, S. S. Banerjee, N. M. Davies and A. Bandyopadhyay “Understanding in vivo response and mechanical property variation in MgO, SrO and SiO2 doped ?-TCP."- Bone 48; 1282-1290: (2011)
- S Bose, S Dasgupta, MS Tarafder, A Bandyopadhyay, “Microwave Processed Nanocrystalline Hydroxyapatite: Simultaneous Enhancement of Mechanical and Biological Properties”, Acta Biomaterialia, 6, Issue 9, 3782-3790 (2010)
- Z. M. Seeley, A. Bandyopadhyay, S. Bose, “Titanium Dioxide Thin Films for High Temperature Gas Sensors”, Thin Solid Films, 519 (1), pp. 434-438 (2010).
- Ho C. Shum, A. Bandyopadhyay, S. Bose, and David A. Weitz "Double Emulsion Droplets as Microreactors for Synthesis of Mesoporous Hydroxyapatite", Chemistry of Materials, 21, 5548 – 5555, (2009)