Joined MME in 2013;
B.S. in Materials Science & Engineering from Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1996.
Ph.D. in Material Science and Engineering from the University of Arizona in 2008
- Nuclear waste forms
- Radiation effects on materials
- Magnetic materials and properties
- Optical ceramics and glasses
- Electronic transport
National & International Recognition:
- Delegate to National Academy of Engineering, Frontiers of Engineering, 2013
- Delegate to National Academy of Engineering, German-American Frontiers of Engineering, 2015.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Nuclear waste forms:
- Sjöblom, R., J. Weaver, D. Peeler, J. McCloy, A.A. Kruger, E. Ogenhall, and E. Hjärthner-Holdar, "Vitrified Hillforts as Anthropogenic Analogues for Nuclear Waste Glasses Project Planning And Initiation," International Journal of Sustainable Development, 11(6), 897-906 (2016). http://www.witpress.com/elibrary/sdp-volumes/11/6/1388
- C. Z. Soderquist, E. C. Buck, J. S. McCloy, M. J. Schweiger, A. A. Kruger, "Formation of Technetium Salts in Hanford Low Activity Waste Glass," Journal of the American Ceramic Society, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jace.14442
- J. Weaver, J. McCloy, J. V. Ryan, A. A. Kruger, "Ensuring longevity: Ancient glasses help predict durability of vitrified nuclear waste," American Ceramic Society Bulletin, 95(4), 18-23 (2016), http://ceramics.org/wp-content/bulletin/2016/May16/May-2016-Bulletin-Ensuring-longevity.pdf.
- Y. Shaharyar, J. Cheng, E. Han, A. Maron, J. Weaver#, J. Marcial#, J. McCloy, A. Goel, "Elucidating the effect of iron speciation (Fe2+/Fe3+) on crystallization kinetics of sodium aluminosilicate glasses," Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 99(7), 2306-2315 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jace.14239.
- J. Marcial, J. Crum, O. K. Neill, J. S. McCloy, "Nepheline Structural and Chemical Dependence on Melt Composition," American Mineralogist, 101, 266-276 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.2138/am-2015-5370.
- B. Riley, J. Vienna, D. Strachan, J. McCloy, J. Jerden Jr., "Materials and Processes for the Effective Capture and Immobilization of Radioiodine: a Review," Journal of Nuclear Materials, 470, 307-326 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnucmat.2015.11.038.
- John S. McCloy, Nancy Washton, Paul Gassman, Jose Marcial, Jamie Weaver, Ravi Kukkadapu, Nepheline crystallization in boron-rich alumino-silicate glasses as investigated by multi-nuclear NMR, Raman, & Mössbauer spectroscopies, Journal of Non-crystalline Solids, 409, 149-165 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2014.11.013
- Radiation effects on materials:
- J. S. McCloy, W. Jiang, W. Bennett, M. Engelhard, J. Lindemuth, N. Parmar#, G. Exarhos, "Electrical and Magnetic Properties Modification in Heavy Ion Irradiated Nanograin NixCo(3-x)O4 Films," Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 119, 22465-22476 (2015), http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b06406
- Maninder Kaur, You Qiang, Carolyn Pearce, John McCloy, Magnetization measurements and XMCD studies on ion irradiated iron oxide and core-shell iron/iron oxide nanomaterials, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 50(11), 1-5 (2014). http://www.dx.doi.org/10.1109/TMAG.2014.2332347
- Weilin Jiang, Jennifer A. Sundararajan, Tamas Varga, Mark E. Bowden, You Qiang, John S. McCloy, Charles H. Henager, Jr., Robert O. Montgomery In-situ Study of Nanostructure and Electrical Resistance of Nanocluster Films Irradiated with Ion Beams, Advanced Functional Materials, 39, 6210-6218 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adfm.201400553
- Magnetic materials and properties:
- Muad Saleh, Yue Cao, Danny Edwards, Pradeep Ramuhalli, Bradley Johnson, John McCloy, "Effects of Aging Time and Temperature of Fe-1wt.%Cu on Magnetic Barkhausen Noise and FORC," AIP Advances, 6(5), 055935 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4944767
- Y. Cao, K. Xu, W. Jiang, T. Droubay, P. Ramuhalli, D. Edwards, B. Johnson, J. McCloy, "Hysteresis in single and polycrystalline iron thin films: major and minor loops, first order reversal curves, and Preisach modeling," Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 395, 361-375 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2015.06.072
- Y. Li, K. Xu, S. Hu, J. Suter, D. Schreiber, P. Ramuhalli, B. Johnson, J. McCloy, "Computational and Experimental Investigations of Magnetic Domain Structures in Patterned Magnetic Thin Films," Journal of Physics D, 48 305001 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/0022-3727/48/30/305001
- Optical ceramics and glasses:
- J. McCloy, B. Riley, D. Pierce, Infrared-Transparent Glass Ceramics: an Exploratory Study, Journal of Non-crystalline Solids, 410, 160-173 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2014.11.040
- John S. McCloy, Mary Bliss, Brian Miller, Zheming Wang, Sean Stave, Scintillation and luminescence in transparent colorless single and polycrystalline bulk ceramic ZnS, Journal of Luminescence, 157, 416-423 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jlumin.2014.09.015
- Electronic transport:
- Rahman, M.T., J. McCloy, C.V. Ramana, and R. Panat, "Structure, electrical characteristics, and high-temperature stability of aerosol jet printed silver nanoparticle films," Journal of Applied Physics, 120(7), 075305 (2016). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4960779
- AJ Rettie, WD Chemelewski, J Lindemuth, JS McCloy, LG Marshall, J Zhou, D Emin, CB Mullins Anisotropic Small-Polaron Hopping in W:BiVO4 Single Crystals, Applied Physics Letters, 106(2), 022106 (2015). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4905786
- Rettie AJ, HC Lee, LG Marshall, JF Lin, C Capen, J Lindemuth, JS McCloy, J Zhou, AJ Bard, and CB Mullins. Combined Charge Carrier Transport and Photoelectrochemical Characterization of BiVO4 Single Crystals: Intrinsic Behavior of a Complex Metal Oxide, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 135, 11389-11396 (2013). http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/ja405550k
- A. M. Jones, J.F. Kelly, J. Tedeschi, and J.S. McCloy, Design considerations for high-Q bandpass microwave oscillator sensors based upon resonant amplification, Applied Physics Letters, 104, 253507 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.4885077
Publications listed at Google Scholar:
Visit: Google Scholar Profile
Use scroll bar in box above to view more titles.