Joined MME in 1996;
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from University of Utah in 1994
- Composite Materials:
- multi-axial characterization
- damage and failure modeling
- environmental degradation
- Sports Science
- experimental bat and ball performance
- numeric modeling of sport ball impacts
- protective equipment
- Burbank, S. D., Smith, L. V., 2012. “Dynamic Characterization of Rigid Polyurethane Foam Used in Sports Balls,” Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 226:77-85.
- Nathan, A. M., Crisco, J. J., Greenwald, R. M., Russell, D. A., Smith, L. V., 2011, “A Comparative Study of Baseball Bat Performance", Sports Engineering, 13.4:153-162.
- Smith, L., Sherwood, J. 2010. “Engineering our Favorite Pastime,” Mechanical Engineering, the Magazine of ASME, 132.4:44-48.
- Smith, L,. V., Duris, J. G., Nathan, A. M., 2009. “Describing the Dynamic Response of Softballs,” Sports Engineering, 12.4:163-169.
- Pilli, S. P., Simmons, K. L., Holbery, J. D., Shutthanandan, V., Stickler, P. B. Smith, L. V., 2009. “A Novel Accelerated Moisture Absorption Test and Characterization,” Composites Part A, 40.9: 1501-1505.