The School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering has an active research faculty, conducting research over a wide range of topics. The School supports the vast majority of graduate students to conduct their research. Many graduate students are also supported in the research Institutes, Laboratories, and Centers associated with the school. Often opportunities exist for undergraduate students to work with faculty on research projects.
MME’s faculty have formed both formal and informal named research groups, the research groups provide a structure to conduct world-class research in a concentrated area. When a research group grows to include a large diverse group of researchers or have extensive specialized equipment, a formal university research Center, Institute, or Laboratory (CIL) may be formed.
Here is a list of the Centers, Laboratories, Institutes and Groups that MME Faculty are associated with:
- CMMS Computational Mechanics and Materials Science Laboratory; Dr. Zbib Coordinator
- HYPER Hydrogen Properties for Energy Research (HYPER) Lab; Dr. Leachman Principal Investigator
- MSTF Micro Scale Thermo Fluidic Lab; Dr. P. Dutta Principal Investigator
- SSL* Sports Science Laboratory; Dr. Smith Director
- Emergent Dynamics, Control and Analytics Labs Dr. Jerath Principal Investigator
- Modeling, Motion, and Medical Robotics Lab Dr. John Swensen Principal Investigator
- W. M. Keck Biomedical Materials Research Lab; Dr Bose and Dr. Bandyopadhyay
- Institute for Shock Physics*; Dr. Gupta Director
*Indicates an official WSU Faculty Senate approved Center, Institute, or Laboratory (CIL).
Faculty ProfilesOn this visit we highlight:
Kuen-Ren (Roland) Chen
Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Michigan, 2013. with MME since 2015, more...
- Biomedical manufacturing
- Additive manufacturing
- Surgical thermal management
- Design of medical assistive devices
- Tissue engineering