- Become a national and international leader in key research areas
- Define areas of strength of “multidisciplinary nature” that we have in our school and can build upon to grow our research and graduate programs.
- Provide “formal” forums for faculty members from MME (and from other departments) of similar interests to work together to develop major research thrust areas and research proposals.
- Current Areas of Strength in MME
- Leading the region in research in materials processing, testing and characterization with emphasis on nanomaterials
- Designing and developing new materials for improved safety and energy efficiency
- Leading the northwest and the nation in Computational Materials Science and Engineering research
- Being a national leader in the development of Power MEMS and portable power systems
- Leading the nation in the area of Virtual reality and Virtual Manufacturing
- Novel approaches to bioengineering with strong cross-college collaborations
- The Forums
- Multiscale Modeling and Characterization of Materials
- Advanced Energy Focus
- Bioengineering Focus
- Engineering Education and Curricular Innovation Mechanical and Materials Engineering
- Modeling and Visualization for Engineering (MOVE) – Research Forum focused on Product Realization, Materials, and Processes
Faculty ProfilesOn this visit we highlight:
Weihong (Katie) Zhong
Ph.D. in Materials Science from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1994 with MME since 2007, more...
- Polymers and composite manufacturing technology
- Battery materials and renewable energy materials
- Nanocomposites and multifunctional materials
- Biomaterials and environmental polymeric materials