The School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering has an active research faculty, conducting research over a wide range of topics. The School supports the vast majority of graduate students to conduct their research. Many graduate students are also supported in the research Institutes, Laboratories, and Centers associated with the school. Often opportunities exist for undergraduate students to work with faculty on research projects.
Faculty Research Interests
Research Institutes, Laboratories, Centers and Groups
MME faculty and students participate in MME and multidisciplinary research organizations to include:
- Nanotechnology groups
- Biotechnology groups
- kessler.wsu.edu – Polymer Composites Group.
- CMR Center for Materials Research.
- CMMS Computational Mechanics and Materials Science Laboratory.
- HYPER - HYdrogen Properties for Energy Research
- Institute for Shock Physic
- WAXCT Washington State High Resolution X-Ray Computed Tomography Laboratory
- MSTF Micro Scale Thermo Fluidic Lab
- Modeling, Motion, and Medical Robotics Lab
- Materials Design and Sustainable Technology
- Advanced Manufacturing Lab
- Clean Energy Systems Integration Lab
- SSL Sports Science Laboratory
- Emergent Dynamics, Control and Analytics Labs Dr. Jerath Principal Investigator
MME has five Research Forums for multidisciplinary research. These forums for faculty members from MME and from other departments of similar interests allow faculty to work together to develop major research thrust areas and research projects.
- The Forums
- Multiscale Modeling and Characterization of Materials
- Advanced Energy Focus
- Bioengineering Focus
- Engineering Education and Curricular Innovation Mechanical and Materials Engineering
- Modeling and Visualization for Engineering (MOVE) – Research Forum focused on Product Realization, Materials, and Processes
Faculty ProfilesOn this visit we highlight:
Min Kyu Song
Postdoc, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2012-2014;
Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering from Georgia Tech in 2011. with MME since 2015, more...
- Rational design of materials/interfaces and manufacturing technologies
- Energy technologies: (1) Batteries, (2) Fuel cells, (3) Supercapacitors and (4) Smart windows
- Environmental technologies: (1) Electrochemical synthesis of fuels and (2) Electrochemical desalination/deionization of water
- Bio-inspired materials and processes for energy and the environment
- Structure-Property relations in materials and solid-state electrochemistry