Dr. Amit Bandyopadhyay
School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, Pullman, WA 99164-2920
Phone: (509)335-4862 Fax: (509)335-4662
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: Amit Bandyopadhyay
Master of Engineering in Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (1992)
Bachelor of Engineering in Metallurgy, Jadavpur University, Calcutta, India (1989)
Brief professional, technical and scientific achievements for Prof. Amit Bandyopadhyay
- Research expertise: Prof. Bandyopadhyay's research expertise lies with additive manufacturing of metallic and ceramic materials and their composites towards structural, bio- and piezoelectric materials.
- Students: Prof. Bandyopadhyay has supervised/supervising 14 Ph.D. and 22 MS graduate students for their degrees in mechanical engineering, physics and materials science and engineering. His students have moved to industry, academia and national labs within and outside US. Prof. Bandyopadhyay has also worked with over 35 undergraduate students from materials science, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering and bioengineering and published several journal papers and conference proceedings with them.
- Honors: Prof. Bandyopadhyay is a Fellow of the American Ceramic Society (ACerS), American Society for Materials (ASM International), American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE) and American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS). Prof. Bandyopadhyay received the CAREER award from the NSF in 1999 and the Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award from the ONR in 1998. Prof. Bandyopadhyay also received the best research faculty awards in 2005 and 2008, and the best teaching faculty award in 2000 from the School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering at WSU.
- Funding: Prof. Bandyopadhyay has received research funding from various federal agencies such as the National Science Foundation (NSF), the Office of Naval Research (ONR), the Nationals Institute of Health (NIH); state agencies such as Life Sciences Discovery Fund, Washington Technology Center and Joint Center for Aerospace Technology Innovation; foundations such as the W. M. Keck Foundation, M. J. Murdock Charitable Trust and companies such as Philips, Biomet, and Pacific Research Lab (WA).
- Publications: Prof. Bandyopadhyay published over 240 technical papers including over 170 journal papers. He holds 9 issued US patents and 5 more patent applications are currently pending at the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He has edited 5 books and 2 more books will be published during 2014. His research papers have been cited over 5000 times by various research groups and his current "h" index is 40. Prof. Bandyopadhyay has given over 140 presentations in various symposia, national labs and industries.
- Best paper of the year awards: Prof. Bandyopadhyay received the best paper of the year award from the Rapid Prototyping Journal in 1998 and 2006.
- Student awards: Prof. Bandyopadhyay's graduate students have received numerous awards during their tenure at WSU under his supervision. Among others, his graduate students received the Acta Student Award from the Acta Materialia publications for their research papers published in Acta Biomaterialia for the years 2008 (Dr. Kakoli Das) and 2010 (Dr. Subhadip Bodhak). His undergraduate students have also received several prestigious awards including "Rhodes scholarship" and "NSF fellow".
- Other appointments
- During 2007, Prof. Bandyopadhyay was a CSIR-Fellow in India at the Central Glass and Ceramics Research Institute (CGCRI, Jadavpur, India).
- In 2008 and 2014, Prof. Bandyopadhyay was a Visiting Professor at the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences at HarvardUniversity (Cambridge, MA).
- In 2010, through an international search, the Government of India through the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) selected Prof. Bandyopadhyay as one of 18 scientists for the position of Outstanding Scientist -Scientist and Technologist of Indian Origin (OS-STIO), a director level CSIR position, to help lead centers of excellences in CSIR Labs in India. Prof. Bandyopadhyay is associated with the Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute (Kolkata, India).
- Editorial activities: Prof. Bandyopadhyay is an Editor / Associate Editor for many international journals including the journal of the American Ceramic Society, Applied Surface Science, Additive Manufacturing and also acts as a reviewer for over 40 different journals and various funding agencies within and outside the US.
Scientist H, OS-STIO, CSIR, India (Consulting position, Part time) July '11 - Present
Visiting Professor, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA Spring 2014
Visiting Professor, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA Feb. '14 - April. '14
Jan '08 - June '08.
Visiting Scientist & CSIR Fellow, CGCRI, Kolkata, India Sep '07 - Dec '07
Director, Bioengineering Research Center, WSU Spring '04 -Sep. '10
Associate Professor, MME, WSU, Pullman, WA99164-2920 Aug.'01 - Aug.'06
Assistant Professor, MME, WSU, Pullman, WA99164-2920 Aug. '97 - Aug.'01
Research Associate, Rutgers University, Piscataway, NJ08855 April' 95 - Aug.'97
Graduate Assistant, University of Texas at Arlington, TX76019 Jan '92 - March'95
Metallurgical Engineer, Bridge and Roof Company (I) Ltd., India Sept '89 - July '90
Member of the Editorial Board
Journal of the American Ceramic Society (www.blackwellpublishing.com/jace).
Applied Surface Science (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/applied-surface-science/).
Additive Manufacturing, Elsevier. (http://www.journals.elsevier.com/additive-manufacturing/).
Journal of Materials Engineering Innovation (http://www.inderscience.com/ijmatei).
Advances in Materials Science and Engineering (http://www.hindawi.com/journals/amse/).
Journal of Tissue Science and Engineering (http://www.omicsonline.org/EditorialboardJTSE.php).
Journal of Biochips & Tissue Chips (http://www.omicsonline.org/jbtchome.php)
Journal of Biotechnology and Biomaterials (http://www.omicsonline.org/EditorialboardJBTBM.php).
OA Biotechnology (http://www.oapublishinglondon.com/oa-biotechnology).
International Journal of Advances in Materials Science and Engineering (IJAMSE, http://wireilla.com/engg/ijamse/editorial.html)
Frontiers in Materials - Corrosion Research(http://www.frontiersin.org/corrosion_research/editorialboard)
WSEAS Transactions on Applied and Theoretical Mechanics (http://wseas.org/cms.action?id=4006)
Journal of Materials(http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jma/editors/)
International Journal of Materials (http://www.naun.org/cms.action?id=6983)
Journal of Regenerative Medicine & Tissue Engineering (JRMTE)(http://www.hoajonline.com/Journal-of-Regenerative-Medicine-and-Tissue.html)
Guest Editor, Materials Science and Engineering C, Volume 31, Issue 4, May 2011.
Reviewer: Journal of the Amer. Ceramic Society; J. of Materials Research; Materials Science and Engineering A, Materials Science and Engineering C, ActaBiomaterialia, Biomaterials, Advanced Engineering Materials; Chemistry of Materials, Sensors and Actuators A, Journal of Materials Science, IEEE - UFFC, Biomedical Materials Research A/B; proposal reviewer and panel member for the NSF, the NIH, Qatar National Research Foundation and US-CRDF.
(1) Innovative Processing and Synthesis of Ceramics, Glasses and Composites V, American Ceramics Society's Annual meeting, 2001.
(2) Biological Materials Science - TMS Annual Meeting, Seattle (WA), 2010.
(3) Surface Properties of Biomaterials - Materials Science and Technology, Houston (TX),'10.
(4) Fuel Cell Technology - ACS Regional Meeting, Pullman (WA), 2010
(5) Ceramics for Orthopedic and Dental Applications - Society for Biomaterials Annual Meeting, Orlando (FL), April 2011 (Susmita Bose, Amit Bandyopadhyay and Tom Webster)
(6) Bio 2011 - Central Glass and Ceramic Research Institute, Kolkata, India. (Chair of the technical committee), July 21to 23, 2011.
(7) Surface Properties of Biomaterials - Materials Sci. and Technology, Columbus (OH),'11.
(8) Surface Properties of Biomaterials - Materials Sci. and Technology, Pittsburg (PA),'12.
(9) Surface Properties of Biomaterials - Materials Sci. and Technology, Montreal,'13.
(10) Surface Properties of Biomaterials - Materials Sci. and Technology, Pittsburg (PA),'14.
Born in Calcutta (India) in 1967. Wife: Prof. Susmita Bose, Professor, MME, WSU. Sons: Shohom and Aditya. US Citizen.